Tuesday, August 21, 2018

DAVID BOWIE/SIOUXSIE Aug 8,1987

This was my 2nd concert and my 1st at the artist who was already my all time favorite and who, to this day, has never relinquished that title. My memories of this concert are mostly vague. It was at a stadium and we were so far back that those on stage looked like little more than ants scurrying about. This, of course, was Bowie near the tail end of his most commercially successful period. A period that he would later admit left him adrift and confused. He would do his best to shed the commercial trappings with his next project, Tin Machine, but that's a story for another day. This particular concert I remember better from having seen it on VHS and DVD than from anything specific that day. I do remember being thrilled to hear "All The Madmen" as I had recently fallen in love with The Man Who Sold The World tape I owned yet didn't expect to hear anything from that album. Often, I've heard a song live that suddenly comes alive for me in a way it never had hearing it on record. For me, this concert made me aware of the beauty of "Sons of the Silent Age", a song I had never noticed before but fell in love with at this concert. I also remember how cool "Time" was and I'm pretty sure I only fully appreciated that song with this concert as well.

Another memory I have is that the showtime was 6pm and the opening act came out promptly and played for about an hour. Then the main act kept us all waiting fot 2 whole hours until it got dark after 9pm before he came out. I still wonder why the opening act was at 6 - why not 7? Oh well, who knows. Oh yeah, I guess I should mention this concert was part of our visit to my Grandmother and Rod's for a week or so that summer. Here's the setlist.....

DAVID BOWIE
THE GLASS SPIDER TOUR
Opening Act: SIOUXSIE & THE BANSHEES
Anaheim Stadium
ANAHEIM, CA
August 8, 1987


Set Lists
SIOUXSIE & THE BANSHEES
1. Overground
2. Hall of Mirrors
3. Christine
4. Trust In Me
5. 92
6. Slow Drive
7. Swimming Horses
8. Take Me Back
9. This Wheel's On Fire
10. Spellbound
11. Israel
12. Cities in Dust
13. Hong Kong Garden


DAVID BOWIE
1.  Carlos Guitar Intro (Purple Haze)/Up The Hill Backwards (intro)
2. Glass Spider/Up The Hill Backwards (outro)
3. Day In Day Out
4. Bang Bang
5. Absolute Beginners
6. Loving the Alien
7. China Girl
8. Fashion
9. Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)
10. All The Madmen
11. Never Let Me Down
12. Big Brother/Chant of the Ever Circling Skeletal Family
13. '87 and Cry
14. "Heroes"
15. Time Will Crawl
16. Young Americans
17. Beat Of Your Drum
18. The Jean Genie
19. Sons of the Silent Age
20. Dancing with the Big Boys
21. White Light, White Heat
22. Zeroes
23. Let's Dance
24. Fame
encore
25. Time
26. Blue Jean
27. Modern Love





No comments:

Post a Comment